I have a love of soup. If it’s cold outside, I want soup. Don’t feel good, I want soup. Quick dinner in a pinch, I want soup. Basically any time is soup time. Being on the 21 Day Fix I have become much more picky about what I put into my soups. Trying to keep things fresh you know.
I love broccoli cheddar soup. Has veggies and is creamy. How am I going to achieve this goal while staying on point? I have a plan. And it includes a blender. Its such a nifty way to thicken up your soup. And sorry no photo – I forgot 😦
- 1 32oz Chicken Stock, reduced sodium
- 5 cups broccoli, diced
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 T Mrs Dash
- 1 T Coconut Oil
- Salt & Pepper to Taste
- Heat up the coconut oil in your soup pot and cook up the onions and carrots until they first start to soften. Add the garlic and after 1 minute throw in the diced broccoli, Mrs Dash and chicken stock.
- Heat up to a boil. Turn down to a simmer and let cook for 15 minutes.
- Ok fun part. Scoop half the soup into the blender and blend. Note to self, don’t fill the blender to the top only half full. Otherwise you will have a kitchen mess you don’t want to clean or deal with.
- Pour the blended soup back into the cooking pot. Now I turn the soup off when I put in the cheese. But you can leave it on low if you want it to stay warm.
Now you can serve this with a crusty bread. I save my carbs so not always. Whatever works for you. You could also make this vegetarian if you changed the chicken broth into vegetable broth.
Now I break it down to be 1 Blue & 1.5 Green to make 4 servings of 1 1/2 cup of soup.
I hope you enjoy it. Post pictures if you make it so I can see how your turned out. And follow me here on Modern Wife Tale, Facebook or on Twitter at @modernwifetale